The cockroach is a kind of insect with an oval shape and long, mobile and thin antennas.
In fact, we have already discussed the subject of cockroaches in one of our previous articles. In this one, however, we will see in even more detail how we can avoid ending up with cockroaches at home, and also how we can exterminate them! Also, although the names “cockroach”, “cockroach” and “cockroach” are synonyms, we will mostly use the word “cockroach” in this text. It will be less confusing!
How to prevent a cockroach infestation?
According to the Larousse dictionary, the word “cockroach” can also mean “a person who slyly denounces others”. So, we can say that in every sense, we don’t want to have cockroaches in our home! How can we discourage cockroaches (insects) from visiting us?
Here are some tips:
Caulk your doors and windows
The reason we say this so often (especially in our article that gives 4 reasons to caulk your home) is because it’s super important. Well-caulked doors and windows will prevent pests from entering!
Keep good cleaning habits in your home.
Yes, that’s the basis! Make sure to:
- Take out the garbage regularly;
- Do not leave food (or traces of food) lying around;
- Do not keep dirty dishes in the sink for hours (especially at night, when cockroaches prefer to be active), etc.
Eliminate sources of moisture in your home.
Yes, despite their strong presence in Quebec, cockroaches like warm and humid places! If you don’t want to go to a lot of trouble, buy a dehumidifier. This will also keep out common moisture bugs, such as sowbugs and silverfish.
How to exterminate cockroaches?
If you see cockroaches in your home, you may have a case of the blues! But don’t cry too long! Here’s what you can do to exterminate these unwanted insects:
- Create or purchase a roach trap. Once the insects are trapped, put the trap in the freezer in a plastic bag for at least 24 hours to kill the cockroaches that have taken up residence there.
- Use pesticides. To do this, make sure you select the right product! If you wish to be advised on this subject, do not hesitate to contact us.
- If items in your home are infested with roaches, vacuum the affected items and place the sweeper bag in a container filled with soapy water. So you can say goodbye to cockroaches!
Before concluding, you may find it interesting to know that some species of cockroaches can grow up to nine centimeters in length. Some even decide to use them as pets! If you don’t know what to say at your next family dinner, you can always mention this funny fact.
In short, you can take action now to keep cockroaches out of your home. However, if some decide to venture into your home anyway, you can use the tips mentioned in this article. For a free estimate or for any other information related to extermination, call us!