Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland – what do these three actors have in common? You probably know the answer to that question. That’s right, these big names are the trio who played the character of Spider-Man, the superhero who gets bitten by a spider and then finds himself with superhuman abilities.
Of course, we know this scenario is from fiction, so we tend to run away from spiders rather than invite them into our homes. In fact, despite the popularity of Spiderman, arachnophobia (the fear of spiders) remains one of the most common phobias in the world.
Whether you suffer from this phobia or not, this article will show you 5 ways to avoid spiders in your home as well as 2 ways to get rid of them if you already have them!
5 ways to keep spiders away
Let’s get right to the heart of the matter! Here are 5 natural ways to make your home spider repellent without killing them:
- Scent your home with a scent that spiders hate, like these:
- The essential oil of peppermint
- Coconut oil
- White vinegar
- Tea tree oil
- Do not surround your home with white fixtures, which are attractive to spiders. Instead, opt for yellow lights that you do not point at your home.
- Clean up regularly to eliminate potential hiding places for spiders and to prevent them from finding food that might attract them.
- Don’t put too many large plants inside the house. While these add to the beauty of a home, they can also add to the number of spiders in it, as spiders like to burrow into the ground and re-emerge when they are looking for food.
- Caulk your doors and windows. To learn more about caulking, check out our article on the subject!
2 ways to get rid of spiders
If, unfortunately, you already find yourself with spider problems at home, don’t panic! Here are 2 solutions you can apply right now to get rid of them:
- Vacuum any webs, cocoons and spiders you find.
- Get a pesticide specifically designed for spiders and follow the instructions on the product.
When should you seek professional help?
If your spider problem persists or gets worse despite these 7 solutions, it’s time to consult a professional! Brisebois Extermination will be happy to help you eliminate the spiders in your home and make sure they don’t come back.
True, you won’t be able to try to recreate Peter Parker’s experience, but at least you won’t be sharing your home with these arachnids (also known as “professional web weavers”)!